It’s time to get Flatiron fever and return to campus for three action-packed days during the 2013 Back to Boulder Homecoming Weekend Oct. 24-27.
All alumni and students are lifelong members of the Alumni Association.
Find other alums living or working in your area.
Author Archives: boston
Calling all Buffaloes!!!!!
Saturday, Sept 7th @ 8pm – North Star Bar, 222 Friend St, Boston, MA
Fresh off the GREATEST game against CSU in years, our first game with Coach Mac and the most energy I have felt in a few seasons we are rolling into this weekend playing the University of Central Arkansas Bears.
Join us back at North Star for kickoff and ANOTHER amazing game.
Come out and join fellow Pac-12 alums for the 2013 Countdown to Kickoff on Saturday, August 24th from 6-9pm at CU’s home bar, North Star (222 Friend St, Boston). Make sure to wear your best BLACK & GOLD to represent!
Want to watch your Buffs in action? Want to hang out with fellow CU Alums?
Well – here is your chance!!
As usual, our watch party will be at North Star Bar – 222 Friend St, Boston, MA.
Don’t forget your black and gold! GO BUFFS!
Colorado Men’s Basketball is in full swing and it is time we start gathering at our stomping grounds of North Star Bar to cheer them on.
This time around, a number of the watch parties will be JOINT WATCH PARTIES with the PAC 12 opponent alumni group!
So far, this is what we have lined up:
Sat, Jan 21st – CU vs. Arizona @ 6pm
Sat, Jan 28th – CU vs. UCLA @ 4pm
Sat, Feb 11th – CU vs. ASU @ 6:30pm
Sat, Feb 18th – CU vs. Utah @ 5pm
Sun, Feb 26th – CU vs. Cal @ 5:30pm
*Same deals as before
**I will set up facebook events for each watch party, but mark your calendars now so you don’t forget!
Closing out 2011 – the year in review…
This year a lot has happened for the Buffs, both in Colorado and for our Boston Buff Alums, I thought I would give some of the highlights as we approach the the coming new year.
- CU gets two new big wigs: David Ikenberry takes over as the dean of the Leeds School of Business and Frances Draper is named associate vice chancellor for strategic relations.
- Two CU faculty named to 2010 AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) – William “Ned” Friedman (E&EB) and Veronica Bierbaum (CHEM).
- Make Love. Not War: CU-Boulder ranks No. 1 nationally for Peace Corps volunteers.
- Final flight of space shuttle Discovery to carry two payloads built by CU-Boulder labs.
- Colorado graduate programs earn national rankings.
- Taking over the reigns: John A. Stevenson named dean of graduate school.
- CU Basketball comes east! Colorado MBB plays at Madison Square Garden for the NIT Semi-Finals and Boston Buffs take a road trip.
- Boston Buffs were lucky enough to welcome a band new mini-Buff, Walter, to former Boston Chapter Leader, Wade Hendricks and his wife Audrey.
- President Obama nominates CU Professor Carl Lineberger to serve on National Science Board.
- Boston Buffs had their first Pac-12 event in Boston and joined the rest of the Alumni Clubs on a pub crawl.
- CU-Boulder receives Tree Campus USA designation – hug a tree to celebrate, there are plenty to go around!
- CU applied mathematics professor Harvey Segur receives 2011 Hazel Barnes Prize.
- Jewish Studies Program receives donation for $2 million endowed chair.
- Two CU faculty named to National Academy of Sciences – James Nynes (CHEM) and Jun Ye (PHYS).
- CU ties MIT for top universities for Department of Energy Early Career Research awards – take that MIT (and Harvard!).
- Buffs with brains: Colorado Athletics Academic Progress Rate (APR) highest since NCAA’s program began.
- Washinton D.C. heads…heads west: White House adviser on technology and innovation, Phil Weiser, named CU law dean.
- Record number of Buffs awarded Fulbright grants for 2011-12 (10).
- NSF awards CU $5.9 million grant for alpine ecosystem research – Of course we will study the slopes for you, meet me at the lodge.
- Christopher Braider named director of journalism and mass communication faculty.
- Colorado Athletics formally announced we were headed to the Pac-10. With the addition of Utah as well, it would now be the Pac-12; ushering in a new era of rebirthed rivalries, (prettier) road game destinations and an exciting future for the Buff Nation.
- Gift establishes endowed chair in finance at Leed’s School of Business.
- NASA mission to Mars led by CU-Boulder completes major milestone.
- Going Green: Boulder’s newest residence hall, Williams Village North is applauded for it’s sustainable design.
- CU’s chemical and biological engineers help fuel economy with 10 entrepreneurial startups.
- Reaching for the stars: Prof Douglas Duncan receives prestigious award for excellence in college astronomy teaching.
- CU cuisine initiatives receive national ‘Best of Show’ award from food service magazine – Chef from South Park would be proud.
- After a hot hot summer, the Boston Buffs gathered at Scoozi to cool off for a Happy Hour to welcome the newcomers, introduce the new Chapter Leader, Kat Vierzba, and kick off the football season right.
- CU Alum night at the MFA. Boston Buffs gathered for a night of art, music and cocktails at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston.
- Colorado Alum, Jon Embree steps on the field for his first game as the new head coach for the Colorado Buffaloes.
- CU kicks CSU’s butt in the 2011 Rocky Mountain Showdown 28-14.
- Boston Buffs make North Star Bar their new home for local events.
- The PhET Interactive Simulations online science project at CU receives international award, The Tech Award 2011.
- CU’s Leed’s School of Business MBA program named one of the best in Colorado and the nation.
- Boulder campus to lead five-year, $6.5 million effort to reduce violence in Denver’s Monetbello neighborhood.
- CU wins bid to host National Solar Observatory headquarters.
- NSF awards $4.5 million to CU-Boulder-led team to study electrical processes in Earth’s atmosphere.
- Bill Nye, the Science Guy visits CU campus!
- Who killed the electric car? Not CU – U.S. Dept of Energy providing CU grants to development of courses to prepare engineers for careers in developing new technologies for vehicles having electric drivetrains. The master’s-level courses will be taught by both UCCS and CU-Boulder faculty members with expertise in batteries, battery controls, and power electronics.
- Two CU professors named Fulbright Scholars – Clair Farago (ART) and Thea Lindquist.
- Colorado’s campus holds annual Veteran’s Day ceremony, this year they dedicate plaques honoring the fallen in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- Pac-12 Toys 4 Tots Happy Hour, hosted by UCLA is a huge success with a great Colorado turnout.
- CU’s Williams Village North earns platinum rating in LEED certification.
***All of these stories are available through the University of Colorado News Center Archives***
What can you look forward to in 2012 for your Boston Buffs?
- Colorado Basketball Watch Parties at North Star – we will be watching them with our opponents’ alum squads! (select dates/games)
- Networking and Meet-n-Greet social hour
- A CU hosted Pac-12 Happy Hour
- Volunteer Events
- Cultural Events
Is there something missing from the list that you would like to see happen? Email me at BeantownBuffs@gmail.com
The NY CU Alumni club has opened up their annual ski trip to the Boston/New England CU Alumni Club. So we are going skiing/snowboarding in Killington, Vermont, Jan. 27th – Jan. 29th. Friends and non-alums ok. We had over 60 people last year!
CU on the Slopes!
$50 per person non-refundable deposits due Monday, December 5th.
Final payment due Monday, December 19th.
Amazing deal! Prices are about the same as last year, and there are no additional PayPal fees. Package includes:
- 2 nights hotel!
- 2 day lift ticket!
- 2 buffet breakfasts!
Prices are per person:
Quad Occupancy*: $235 pp
Triple Occupancy*: $259 pp
Double Occupancy*: $303 pp
Single Occupancy: $459 pp
- 2 day Rental (skis/boots/poles or snowboard/boots) only $66.95
- Lessons- prices vary (email firstname.lastname@example.org for details)
*2 double beds per room. Rooms with 1 king bed may be available if doing Single or Double.
You can’t beat this deal! One day lift tickets are normally $84 alone!
Transportation is not provided. We provide rental car discount codes, and/or you can use the Facebook page to arrange car pools.
***If we have enough people in the Boston group, we can look into transportation, carpool, etc. I can help coordinate.***
Hotel- The Inn of the Six Mountains- free shuttle to mountain (1 mile), restaurant & bar, outdoor hot tub, indoor hot tub & pool, walking distance to restaurants/nightlife.
Killington- resort stretches across 7 mountains with 191 trails served by 30 lifts, and averages 250 inches of natural snow each winter. The region has many other activities including cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, dog sledding, spas, shopping, fine dining, and nightlife at more than 100 restaurants and bars.
***FRIDAY AFTERNOON GAME***
North Star Bar – 222 Friend St, Boston, MA
As the inaugural Pac-12 season comes to a close, the Buffs have one last game this Friday against former rival the Utah Utes.
From 1903 through 1962, Utah and Colorado played each other nearly ever year. By 1962, they had played 57 games. The rivalry was discontinued in 1963, and the teams have not played each other since.
With Utah and Colorado joining the Pac-12 in 2011, and with both placed in the conference’s new South Division, the two teams are guaranteed to renewing their rivalry THIS FRIDAY.
Despite the hiatus of nearly a half-century, the Utah-Colorado rivalry remains the fifth-most played rivalry in Utah’s history, and the eighth-most played rivalry in Colorado’s history.
Colorado leads the series – 30-24-3. Come on Buffs, let’s make it 31!
F*ck Em Up, F*ck Em Up, GO CU!
When: Saturday, Nov 19th at 7:30pm
Where: North Star Bar – 222 Friend St, Boston, MA
What: Fresh off of the first Pac-12 victory of the 2011 season on Senior Day last week, the Buffs are back at it against another conference foe, UCLA.
Come out to North Star to watch the fur fly as the Buffaloes take on the Bruins of UCLA.
Only a few games left this season so make you get out to a game!
Same drill as always…
Food, drinks, games, and the best fans around!
NOTE: The Bruin’s have an away game against the Isles with a puck drop if 7:00pm, so that game will be on too and there will be B’s fans. So make sure to wear Colorado gear in order to get the VIP treatment!
C U There.
Saturday, Nov. 12th at 2:30pm - North Star Bar – 222 Friend St, Boston, MA
CU is 1-9, Arizona is 2-7.
Each game, while the Buffs lose in painful fashion, there are bits of awesomeness sprinkled throughout the quarters. I have spent many a games on the wobbling benches in the student section of Folsom Field – my gear tattered, my lungs shot…my spirit and faith never weakened. I BLEED BLACK & GOLD.
It is time to rally around the Buffs and remember what makes us the best fans in the Pac-12, heck, in the NCAA. Ralphie is my homegirl and Chip is my homeboy.
As we prepare to take on the Wildcats of Arizona, dress in your game day best and come ready to cheer your butt off. What we lack in a winning record, we make up for in being the Happiest City in the USA!
C U There!
North Star Bar – 222 Friend St, Boston, MA
It is time to reminisce about your years in Boulder and your time as a Buffalo as we get together and celebrate Homecoming for CU at Folsom Field as the Buffs take on the (not so Mighty) Ducks of Oregon. As usual, we will gather at our home bar in Boston (NorthStar) to cheer the team on.
- We will have an area dedicated to CU with TV’s (and sound) for the game
- Corn hole – Bean bag toss
- Beer pong -Beirut
- Plus, NorthStar will be giving us the same awesome food and drink specials plus a stellar half-time surprise!
- AND our very own CU Fight song to sing along with as the Buffs FIGHT – FIGHT – FIGHT – FIGHT – FIGHT!