I hope everybody has had a great year so far. For those that didn’t catch it last month, Assistant Professor Leigh Holman (DMA Mus ’03) sang the National Anthem for President Obama during his visit to CU. She is in the College of Music and director of the opera program. I bring this up because she is a native west Tennessean from just up the road in Trenton.
I can’t believe this academic year has flown by so fast, because it seems like only a couple of months ago that our last Summer Send-off was held and we had a great time. Well it is that time of year again and we are looking for someone to host the send-off this year and need to know by May 15th! Last year it was held on July 31st, and CU has found the most successful events have occurred on weekends between late July and mid August.
I would like to continue this event and make this a tradition as it’s very worthwhile for both the soon-to-be students and parents as well as the alumni. Alumni are always happy and willing to share their stories of their time back in Boulder with new students. And anytime we can get that back and forth going with this chapter, the better.
If you are interested in hosting, this is what we will need to know from you:
1. Name of Host/Hostess
2. If Host(s) are CU Alumni … year(s) of graduation
3. Name of CU Boulder student/expected graduation year
4. Contact Information (Home/Work/Mobile/Fax/Email)
5. Would you like this information available to recipients who RSVP that will be attending ? Y or N
6. Distance you feel families will travel to your send-off event
7. Tentative date of event (or even just a week or a month)
8. Time of event
9. Type of event : snacks, bbq, swim party, etc.
10. Location (address/city/state/zip code)
11. Shipping Address: to ship CU gear and party box for the event
Also, just know that CU’s Parent Association’s budget isn’t big enough to reimburse every city across the county who is doing a send-off for expenses, so keep it simple. Last year the alumni that attend brought some snacks with them. CU will send a box of goodies to share with the guest and “Welcome to CU” gifts so to speak and CU will also handle all of the mailings of the invitations and RSVP’s. They will leave you with the easy part.
So please, if you are interested in hosting this year’s Summer Send-off, let us know by contacting your Memphis Forever Buffs Chapter Leader.