Share your CU pride wherever you go with our “Forever Buffs” license plates.
Showing your University of Colorado pride is easier than ever before with the improved CU license plate program for Colorado residents. And, even though the system is new, you’ll still be helping a future CU student by purchasing your CU plates! Since the program began Jan. 1, 2000, more than $500,000 has been raised in scholarship funds for CU students. Go Buffs!
Simple step-by-step process to obtain your CU license plate in Colorado
- Step 1: Make a scholarship donation to the CU-Boulder Alumni Association of at least $50 through the CU Foundation website.
- Step 2: After you make your scholarship donation, you will receive a confirmation email. Take the donation confirmation email, which will include the State of Colorado certification, to the Division of Motor Vehicles and present it to a clerk.
- Step 3: Pay the required DMV fee ($50) for obtaining specialty plates.
- Step 4: Your CU license plate will be sent via the U.S. Postal Service and arrive in 5-7 days.
Frequently asked questions
- How long do I own my CU plates for?
As long as you keep them registered. Please note, if you move and discontinue your registration, you will have to go through this process again and make a new donation to obtain CU license plates if you move back to Colorado.
- How can I get the certificate for CU plates?
There is a simple step-by-step process for obtaining CU plates.
- When can I get my plates and do I have to obtain them right away?
If you would like to get your CU plates immediately, but don’t actually need to renew your license plates until a later month, the DMV will prorate the registration fee for the time remaining until your registration expires.
- Can I pay for two vehicles on one application?
No, you must complete a separate application for each vehicle you want to register with CU license plates.
- Can I purchase CU plates for another person as a gift?
Yes, you can purchase CU license plates as a gift. When filling out the donation information on the CU Foundation website, list the recipient’s name in the “Gift Comments Box” and the “Vehicle Title Name Box.” You will then need to send the email confirmation to the recipient and they can complete the process at the DMV.